
They say "if you can build a better mousetrap...". Well, I've found one!
First of all, we have mice. There. I've said it. Please don't let that be the reason not to come to my house. I live in a 150 year old farmhouse. There are lots of ways for mice to get in. Walking in the front door for one. (No, I am not kidding.)
We have stock in mousetraps and regularly set them whether we see the evidence or not. Sometimes the evidence is obvious (a huge hole chewed through my sweater); sometimes it is not.
About a year ago I had a crock sitting in my dining room, just for decoration. All of a sudden it started to smell. I thought that perhaps the kids (namely JOSH!) had dropped some food down into it. We've found various things in there before, so food wouldn't surprize me. The smell just got worse and worse until John took the crock outside and dumped the contents. Besides finding dirt (from my houseplant), toy forks and spoons, and about 147 pens, there was also a petrified mouse in there. Seems that the unlucky soul had jumped into the crock and had not been able to get back out. It had been the end of him.
Well, my beautiful (stinky) antique decorative crock sat up a the barn for approximately 9 months until my husband found the time to clean it out for me. (I DON'T do mice! He's the "man" after all!) Just a month or so ago, the crock made it's way back into the house, but only into the back room (what I like to refer to as my husband's "Junk Room"). I happened to go out there a few days ago, and to what do my lingering nostrils appear? But a stinky mouse flesh (and eight tiny reindeer....not really the reindeer part.) Seems as if another poor mouse-soul just couldn't stand the pressures of everyday mouse-life and jumped to his death. RIP little mousey!
First of all, we have mice. There. I've said it. Please don't let that be the reason not to come to my house. I live in a 150 year old farmhouse. There are lots of ways for mice to get in. Walking in the front door for one. (No, I am not kidding.)
We have stock in mousetraps and regularly set them whether we see the evidence or not. Sometimes the evidence is obvious (a huge hole chewed through my sweater); sometimes it is not.
About a year ago I had a crock sitting in my dining room, just for decoration. All of a sudden it started to smell. I thought that perhaps the kids (namely JOSH!) had dropped some food down into it. We've found various things in there before, so food wouldn't surprize me. The smell just got worse and worse until John took the crock outside and dumped the contents. Besides finding dirt (from my houseplant), toy forks and spoons, and about 147 pens, there was also a petrified mouse in there. Seems that the unlucky soul had jumped into the crock and had not been able to get back out. It had been the end of him.
Well, my beautiful (stinky) antique decorative crock sat up a the barn for approximately 9 months until my husband found the time to clean it out for me. (I DON'T do mice! He's the "man" after all!) Just a month or so ago, the crock made it's way back into the house, but only into the back room (what I like to refer to as my husband's "Junk Room"). I happened to go out there a few days ago, and to what do my lingering nostrils appear? But a stinky mouse flesh (and eight tiny reindeer....not really the reindeer part.) Seems as if another poor mouse-soul just couldn't stand the pressures of everyday mouse-life and jumped to his death. RIP little mousey!
PS. You know, I read that a mouse can jump up to a foot off the ground and fit through an opening as small as the width of a pencil. EWWWW!!!
PSSS. The kids have suggested that if the crock doesn't work, we could get a snake and let him roam our house eating mice. But only if it's a nice snake. DOUBLE EWWWWW!!!!


1 comment:
I can relate to the mouse thing.....I'll even admit it. We have mice too! Must be something about older homes - 160 years old here! Now - where do I get my hands on one of those CROCKS OF DEATH? LOL Too Funny!!
Post a Comment