Both of my parents have had open heart surgery. My mom has had cancer twice. My brother has MS. Needless to say, I am high on the list for some health problem.
The last couple of years, John and I have been taking some very proactive steps to make our lives healthier.
All along, John has been a BIG advocate for getting rid of chemicals from our home and our lives. I grew up using every chemical cleaner known to man. I thought, "If they sell it, it must be ok." I finally have seen the light. Now, if you check out out home and the way we live, there's still a lot that's not completely green, but (here's the difference) we are making wiser choices.
Here's some of the things we do:
1. We raise and eat our own meat. We know what the cows have been fed (no growth hormones, good feed, essentially organic) and we know how long ago that cow was breathing. We also only eat meat about once a week. One night is fish night (John HATES it, but eats it) and I do chicken a night or two. I would love to get our own chicken, but that's another task for another day. We also eat our own eggs, well, when the chickens are laying. I often have to buy eggs at the store, and try to find the most "organic" they have.
2. We have tried to get away from as many extra chemicals as possible. When buying laundry detergent, I always buy "free and clear, no perfume, no phosphates". Instead of cleaning chemicals, I use 50/50 water/vinegar for everyday cleaning (grandma's solution was the best!) and I use denture tablets to clean the toilet (drop a tab or two in, wait 15 minutes and then scrub). We do not use weed killer. Ok, if you've seen my yard you can tell that's obvious, but that has more to do with not having time than chemicals. Did you know that if you spray plain white vinegar on weeds and let the sun bake them, they will die. I LOVE white vinegar...
3. We try to open the windows for at least 5 minutes a day to get fresh air in and toxic air out, and I went out and bought a bunch of houseplants. If I had it to do over again, I would not put in carpet (very toxic as it breaks down) but would do all hardwood floors. Of course, on a cold winter morning, it is so nice to step onto a warm floor...wait a minute, we live in an old farmhouse, our floor is cold no matter what!
4. Most of the food I make is from scratch. The majority of my grocery shopping is for staples, not prepared foods. That's the way my mom cooked and that's the way I cook. Now, if you look in my cupboards, you will see prepared things, but we try to balance out what we have. For instance, I (try) to only have one goody in the house at a time (if it's here, we eat it). We will have either chips or Cheetos (kids' fav) or cookies.
5. We try to make healthy eating a daily thing. My kids drink only milk (BGH free) or water (from our well, tested yearly). They've only ever eaten brown bread and Multi-Grain Cheerios. We always thought, why start them out on something we don't want to continue with?
6. Because of Rachel's Spina Bifida, she is more susceptible to a latex allergy, so we have been latex free for her. Her pacifiers and bottles are silicone, but we've also gone BPA free. We have tried to get rid of plastics # 3, 6 and 7 (look on the bottom of your plastic for the number in the middle of the recycle triangle). I am also attempting to make her baby food.
7. I bought most of my fruits and veggies from a local stand this summer. Because of the baby, I didn't do a garden this year, but am already planning next years'. My dad is going to help me set it up, and then I hope to freeze most of my goods. (I would love to learn how to can, but I am a hands-on learner. Reading about how to can doesn't cut it with me, and because it's food, I am too scared to try it myself.)
8. We don't go automatically to medicines for what ailes us. For runny noses, we use plain nasal saline spray and an aspirator. We take ibuprofen or acetemediphen after a day or two of the pain. I often have not filled the doctor's prescription of antibiotics, waiting for the sickness (often an ear ache) to run it's course.
**** This is part of the reason why I feel so responsible for Rachel's birth defect. I had Strep Throat and a high fever, but I waited a few days to take anything to bring my fever down, waiting for it to run it's course. Did my not taking Tylenol cause her Spina Bifida?
9. We don't wear shoes in the house (umm, bring animal feeces and toxins into where my baby lays on the floor? No thanks!) and we don't keep animals in the house. I am NOT an animal person, so it's not a big deal to me.
So, these are just a few of the things we are doing to make our lives healthier. There are so many more changes we need to make, but, for us, it's about changes that work for us. Yes, you will see me in the drive thru line, but not every day, and when we do eat at home, it's fairly healthy.
There's a commercial on TV for Lysol or some other chemical cleaner talking about how you need to clean every surface so as not to expose your kids to the germs that cause a cold. I looked at John and said, "Hmmm, would I rather my kids get a cold now, or cancer twenty years from now by being exposed to these chemicals?" I know what my answer is.
I would love to know what kinds of things you do...
Looking toward resurrection
7 years ago


8 comments:
Hello Melanie!
One of the things we did is get rid of all the teflon skillets in our house. We use cast iron or stainless steel now. This is due to the chemicals released when teflon gets too high. Also, I buy natural shampoo and natural deodorant. It is scary if you read about the amount of chemicals absorbed by the body from deodorant alone. This is true for makeup too, which I have stopped wearing as much. Oh, and I have a lot of houseplants, especially ivy which I guess is supposed to absorb a lot of toxins.
Let me know when you get a milk cow! :) Jackie
I >heart< you!!!! You know I am a semi-granola mama, so this is right up my ally!
Before the triplets came and completely overtook my green-ness I was ALL about cloth diapering. I LOVE it, it's so much fun (yep, I said FUN) and they are so so so cute! FOr any one who does not believe me check out www.abbyslane.com.
I use baby products from EarthMama AngelBaby, and if they are not available I make sure to make a run to target for the California Baby line.
We bought our own grass fed, hormone free cow this summer (well, half of a cow!) and we try to eat and preserve as much from our garden as possible. We even have a massive black berry patch that we use all summer for snacks, and for making amd preserving jam.
I line dry in the summer, and I BUY USED. I think that recycling things like clothes is so so so important. Even when we have the extra money I still shop second hand 60-70% of the time. (Except for Josh's work wear, of course.)
We cook with stainless steel also. before I had the triplets I was big into extended nursing not only because of all the benefits, but also because of the petrol it takes to make/transport baby formula. Triplets ruined that idea though. :/ LOL.
good post Mel..
Some of the other things I do.. instead of buying bottled water, I use a Brita Pitcher.. I recycle almost all of my trash.. I use cloth shopping bags from the grocery store, target, etc... instead of plastic ones.. I combine my trips into one, I've switch to driving my motorcycle more than my SUV... I buy in larger quantities because of the cost of manufacturing.. I recycle my fruit & veggies that go bad to the local residents in the neighborhood (birds and rabbits mostly.. think I've got a skunk or 2 that visits).. I've got feeders up for a bunch of critters.. including the bat house.. natural mosquito control there....I disconnect my vampire appliances when they are not in use (toaster, microwave computer, chargers) ...
what would I do? I'd throw solar panels on the roof in a heartbeat if I got some tax breaks to do it! And I'd live closer to you so I could get my eggs, chicken, beef all-natural just like our childhood!
Steph
I just learned about an organization that teaches canning classes. It is the Penn State Cooperative Extension. Here is the link: http://erie.extension.psu.edu/Nutrition/homecanning.htm
I don't know if they have any more classes until next year. But I thought it might interesting.
Here's one I know you can relate to, perhaps you already do this. I use hot water & vinegar to wash those little tiny still-in-training wet or soiled underpants. Also great for sheets & towels. I just dump vinegar into the washer in place of Clorox 2.
Love your lifestyle, just wish more people were like that. We try to be as green as possible too, and it drives me crazy when I see a commercial for a spray, do people know how bad it is to spread droplets of chemicals into their children's lungs?
For natural cold remedies, nothing beats a Nosefrida aspirator, which is made in Sweden and free of dangerous plastics. Also, my daughter loves her all natural pacifier, the ecobinky... made out of natural rubber and nothing else.
I wish I could grow my own veggies... that is the next step!
Shoes off in the house (except for hubby, who is just stubborn about it), recycling, composting, white vinegar for any and all purposes I can find for it, local produce whenever available, and I usually freeze veggies, too. Turn of the lights when leaving the room; turn off the water while brushing the teeth; windows open each day (in the winter, just the bedroom windows, just a crack)... grocery lists and reminders on junk mail envelopes, fabric bags for hauling groceries. Selling and buying consignment. Little things like that each day.
What a great post Melanie! We have started doing a lot of this stuff too a few years ago after Isaac's birth defect. We now go BPA free, hormone free milk, I wish we could raise our own meat, but I do buy organic when I can afford it. We also only do one meat night a week. I love the water/vinegar cleaner! It works on everything. I am thankful for the new tip about the denture cleaner! WOW! I had never heard that!
We did a BIG garden for the first time this year and I learned to freeze and can and would love to show you anytime what I have learned! I have a great mother in law who did all of that in her younger days. I even made our own pickles and they are great! I also do my own jelly and salsa.
We do whole grain everything and especially love the pasta! I wish I could say I did the cloth diaper thing, but just never have.
We also got rid of teflon and we are much more careful about bath products and soaps! There is some scary stuff in those things. You can find good stuff at Target or Wegmans. My kids have a LOVE for chicken nuggets and I have switched to veggie nuggets or I have breaded zuchinni and baked it and they don't really know the difference!
We all have to do what we can! You are a great mom!
Post a Comment