My kids know that Christmas is all about Jesus. All of the decorations, all the Santa's, all the presents and other "stuff" is just because it is Jesus' birth. They know that, and we still have Santa and Rudolph and all that other stuff. Some people don't allow all that other "stuff" into their home, saying it detracts from the true meaning of Christmas. True, and that is their opinion, but I want my kids to know that without Jesus, there'd be no Santa, no Frosty, and no 12 Days of Christmas, some people don't even realize it, but when they put up a Santa Claus, they're celebrating Jesus' birth.
Ok, I digress... the point I want to make is, Why are all the fun Christmas songs about Santa, Rudolph and Frosty? What kid wants to sing the morose song "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"? Yes, Away in a Manger is a great song, but have you ever heard how low it is? Joy To the World is a great upbeat song, but kids don't understand "Let earth receive her King" (most adults don't either).
So who knows a great KIDS' song about Jesus and Christmas that's fun to sing?
Looking toward resurrection
7 years ago


5 comments:
Good point! I guess I never really thought about it. We put Christmas music on and the kids know it and will sing it, but to just sing a song for the fun of it...it's hard to think of one that would make you break out in song with kids that is about Jesus and easy enough to remember and understand. Courtney picked up on The First Noel because her middle name is Noel (it was going to be Lynn until she decided to be a week late and come on Christmas day!) Anyway, I'll have to think on that one! Thanks for bringing it to our attention! (I'm with you on Santa and Rudolph and all. The important part is where the true focus is!) Hope you have a great Christmas!
If you go to the Willow Creek website and go to the Promiseland music, they have a whole cd. It is pretty fun! You can download songs from the site.
I'm not sure where to find it, but at our previous church, the kids were taught a fun song called "Bumpy Camel Ride." There are some, I think you just have to look a little harder. :)
We are one of those "awful parents" who don't do Santa at all, and I totally understand what you are saying. ( you would not believe the comments from people who tell us that we are ruining our kids and killing their imagination forever by not doing Santa!)
Anyway, I will be watching the comments to see what responses you get. We sing Happy Birthday to Jesus every Christmas Day.
Super-duper Christmas with Jesus is a catchy one! Also, do you ever watch the Donut Man videos? Nikki loved those, and he has Easter, Christmas, zoo, camp, farm... tons of songs about everything. Almost every week a Bible story comes up in church of somewhere else, and Nikki and I start singing the Donut Man song about it. (Just a side note. Abby could never stand the guy)
Post a Comment