Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ready To Go







We've known with Rachel's Spina Bifida that each milestone would be a challenge and yet, each one a victory. The things that we have taken for granted with each of the other kids has become momentous with her. I think it's sweeter, not because of the Spina Bifida, but because she is the baby!
This morning when I went to get Rachel up, she was on her tummy. This is HUGE! Rachel is able to roll ever: in fact, she is a crazy-rolling machine, but she has not been able to roll over wearing her hip brace. She was given the brace to wear when she was about 6 months old (9 months ago) and she wears it when she naps and sleeps at night. I have been putting her down on her tummy during the day, but on her back at night (and my, how it has given her a nice bald spot right on the back of her head). Ok, imagine sleeping in one position all night long, being unable to move. That's where Rachel has been for the last nine months!
Lat week when I went in to get her up from her nap, she had pulled the hip brace off, which takes A LOT of maneuvering and struggling. I thought that was momentous.
For about a month now Rachel has been in her A frame stander. It has made a huge difference in her strength and endurance. She is trying to get up on all fours too. Prior to this, she was not able to get her knees up under herself, or she would rest her head on the floor.

I think that she is just raring to go! I think I hear revving sounds coming from her at times!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

That is so very, very encouraging to hear!! She is the cutest!